Our Wonderful Indian Hills!
A Place of Great Heritage!
The Indian Hills Association was surveyed, plotted, and recorded in
1927. On June 24, 1945 the signers of the Articles of Incorporation
met at the home of Dewitt Roberts and our By-laws were adopted.
The first meeting of the Indian Hills Association was held at the Big
Foot Country Club on September 3, 1945 with 44 members present,
less than half of our current membership!
A Family Community!
Over the years we've grown, not only in number, but also in a vitality
that has let us become a prestigious Geneva Lake community.
Indian Hills is a cherished place in which to live. Whether it's "home"
or a "home away from home," Indian Hills has served as a haven for a
peaceful getaway, a birthplace for many lasting friendships, and a
playground for the young and old.
A Beautiful Location!
Indian Hills can safely boast
about having the most
beautiful lake park on
Geneva Lake! Our large
expanse of shaded, grassy
lake frontage is a wonderful
place for all to meet, picnic,
How much fun it is to dive off
the board and swim to the
raft or just keep cool in our
protected swim area!
Indian Hills Association
Geneva Lake originated from
two Michigan glaciers 30,000
and 14,000 years ago. Water
in the lake comes from
rainfall and from springs and
streams. The lake measures
about 8 miles long, 2 miles
wide, 144 feet deep and has
a surface area of
approximately 5,200 acres. It
is fed by natural aquifers
traveling for hundreds of
miles from Lake Superior.
Before the "white man"
arrived, Chief Big Foot
("Maumksuck" in his native
tongue) and his band of
inhabited the Geneva Lake
area. His tribe of about 500
occupied what is now
Williams Bay, and Big Foot
kept his royal residence in
what is now Fontana. The
Indians called our lake "Big
Foot" and it is historically
disputed whether it was
named after the shape of the
lake (a human leg and foot)
rather than after the name of
the Indian chief.
After the Black Hawk War of
1832, the Indians were told
to leave their homeland, but
Big Foot did not do so until
1836 when his tribe was
decimated by small pox and
the government sent the
remaining inhabitants to a
Our Rules and
help to keep our
|A Family Community established in 1945 on beautiful Geneva Lake!
Geneva Lake was formed some 10,000 years ago as a result of glacial action,
which created the lake basin and sculpted the landscape. The geological formation
of Geneva Lake begins with the melt off of a glacial lobe known as the Troy Valley.
Troy Valley was a depression running from Troy, Wisconsin through Lyons and then
westward through Lake Geneva and toward Beloit. The cascading water from the
"Troy Valley's" outlet formed connecting channels that evolved into the present lakes
Geneva, Delavan and Como. Geneva Lake took its present shape with the Late
Wisconsin glacial period when the sedimentary deposits of the Delavan Lobe
divided Geneva and Delavan, which is three and one half miles to the west. Second
sedimentary deposits separated Geneva and Como, which is a mile north of
Williams Bay. Both Geneva Lake and Como Lake drain to the east.
The lake was first discovered in 1831 when an Army party, under the command of
Major John Kinzie, was traveling along Indian Trails from Fort Dearborn in Chicago
to Fort Winnebago near what is today Portage, Wisconsin. The trail led through the
Pottawatomi Indian Village located on a plateau near the seven ceremonial pools at
the western end of the lake. There is a bronze marker located on the south shore
lake path just east of Fontana marking the location where the Kinzie party first
observed the lake. A government surveyor named John Brink began mapping the
area in 1834 for the United States government in preparation to the area being
opened for settlement. He was under instructions to give Indian names to the
geographic features in the region, but the area reminded him of his hometown near
Geneva, New York so he named it Geneva Lake. John Brink camped for a day at the
eastern end of the lake and marked his claim by chopping down a number of trees
and carving his name on the sight. This location was the outlet of the lake at the
White River. In 1836 Christopher Payne became the first settler. He chose the
same location as John Brink and claimed he was unaware of Brinks prior claim.
After an extended dispute, Brink sold his claim to Payne for $2000 in cash and
material and moved to Crystal Lake, Illinios.
Settlers began to populate the area and in 1839 Robert Warren and six others
purchased section 36 in Township #2 from the US government. Their land grant
signed by President Harrison was recorded on June 17th, 1839. By 1844 Robert
Warren had bought out the other owners and became the sole owner. Geneva Lake
remained in this natural state until early settlers constructed a dam on the eastern
end of the lake at the White River outlet in 1836. Beginning in 1897, the Lake Level
Corporation Inc. controlled and maintained the lake level. In 2003 the dam was
reconstructed with the cooperative efforts of the communities surrounding the lake.
|A SHORT HISTORY OF GENEVA LAKE
7.7 miles long
2 miles wide at the widest
142 feet deep
8.6 square miles
20.1 miles of shoreline